7 replies to this topic

#1 heirofslytherin123

heirofslytherin123

Fledged

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

so is there a difference in Boy vs Girl behavior in Caiques? i know some people say that their males can be somewhat of a handful but are females? im sure during maturity when it's time to breed there may be a hormonal change in female behavior but i just wanted to know what i have to look forward to :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Cyreen

Cyreen

Avian Elite

• Members
  • 2040 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

I think it very much depends on the individual bird. There are some people who have never noticed a hormonal change of behavior and other people whose birds do a complete Jekyll and Hyde. Male caiques do seem to have a tendency to become aggressive as they mature, but that doesn't necessarily seem to be hormonal.
Ollie: RD 09/13/08
Zetta: BHC 03/01/11
Mayu: WCP 06/19/00

#3 heirofslytherin123

heirofslytherin123

Fledged

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I also wondered if there was a larger number of pets that were male than female? or if it was basically evenly distributed? i just noticed that many of the people who have caiques have boys
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Emily

Emily

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3660 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

I've personally not really noticed a difference when it comes to genders - any difference is really more because of the individual birds personality, and doesn't have much to do with its gender at all. I've had hormonal issues with my male and female, but those issues were fixed with some environmental tweaking - generally hormonal behaviors can be modified when you examine your environment and tweak any factors that are contributing to your birds hormones. For example, the amount of light and dark they get, etc.
Owned by:
Higgins & Rosie, black headed caiques
Tahoe & Sierra, pacific parrotlets
Lucky - blue and gold macaw
Max - timneh african grey
Marlee - pineapple greencheek conure
Tooie - molluccan cockatoo

#5 connie

connie

Fledged

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

There are so many factors to figure into the equation of gender behavior.
In the years that I have talked to many caique owners,both genders can be aggressive but more often then not, it is the males that seem to display more of these behaviors....that, of course, is not a scientific study.LOL All birds are individuals.

#6 Daisy_Jane

Daisy_Jane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Daisy Is our Black headed Caique I love her personality she is just all around funny and sweet. Sometimes she trys to be a little bossy but she is easy to read. My mother has a White Bellied Caique that we were told is a female but honestly wer are not really sure. We are going to get this birds dna when we can. "She" Is differnet i am not sure if its becasue she is white bellied or could be a boy? But she is not easy going, she gets over stimulated very easily and is probably the hardest bird to read out of all of our birds. She did come from a home where her owner was in his 20's and past away so there could be some factors as to why our white bellied is harder to handle. We are working with her.

I just love Daisy Jane BHC she is a kick in the pants, and just the nicer bird of the two.

#7 Cyreen

Cyreen

Avian Elite

• Members
  • 2040 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

There really is no difference in between Black Headed Caiques and White Bellied Caiques in regard to genetic personality. However, every bird is very much an individual. My two girls were completely different personalities, night and day; while Joule was fearless, Zetta was more thoughtful - just different. From posts here, there does seem to be some indication of gender differences, in that males seem to get more aggressive than females as they age.
Ollie: RD 09/13/08
Zetta: BHC 03/01/11
Mayu: WCP 06/19/00

#8 Annrose

Annrose

Avian Elite

• Members
  • 2626 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Peanut & Popcorn (brother/sister) are like nite & day difference.
Peanut is the "Hi how are YOU" "energizer Bunny". He doesn't know a stranger, and he does all the Caique funny stunts.
Popcorn is much more laid back, she's hesitant around strangers, and she still after all these years, refuses to lay on her back.
She has a attitude at times, like "leave me alone", and you can't even get her to step up.

So all in all...YEP...it's all in the personality.

Caique Forum Sponsor: www.justbirdtents.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users